All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medication. Never prior to have so many scientific advancements and new strategies emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless people the chance to minimize or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and pain-free way to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist guarantee that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Select the doctor, not the laser.
3. Choose a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a medical professional doesn't know can injure you.
Ask for info on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your medical professional won't inform you, discover another one.
5. Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Ensure that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The potential cost savings are not worth the threat of receiving my company less than professional care!
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, but don't expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat various outcome. The very best surgeon in the world can't ensure 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each client. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, other don't forget the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the vision of countless people around the world.